WHO WE WERE:
A Short History of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, Beeville, Texas.
Though not yet named, St. Philip’s began on October 2, 1888, when Bishop Steptoe Johnston held the first Episcopal service in Beeville, in the Methodist Church. Inspired by the dynamic Bishop, these pioneer churchmen continued to hold services in various host churches. In 1893, they became a mission in the Diocese of West Texas, chose their patron saint and began building a church of their own. Although construction was not to be completed until 1911, the first service in St. Philip’s Church was held on May 21, 1894. In 1951, after 58 years as a mission, St. Philip’s was granted parish status with the congregation’s first priest in residence. In 1993, the parish celebrated its centennial.